Skip to content
Fun Facts About Basel
- Around 30% of the Basel population are foreign residents!
- Did you know, the Tinguely fountain is located on the exact spot of the stage of the original theatre & the metal pieces were constructed using the salvaged materials from the demolished theatre.
- The University of Basel is one of the oldest surviving universities and is also Switzerland’s oldest university having first opened its doors in 1460
- The Mittlere Brücke was originally constructed of half stone & half wood to protect against invasion from the Könichreich of Germany.
- Herbstmesse (The Autumn fair that usually runs for two weeks from late October until mid November) is the oldest & largest amusement fair in Switzerland. A staple event in the Basel calendar, not to be missed.